Have you recently been in a car accident? Are you suffering from neck pain, neck stiffness and
headaches? If so, you may have sustained whiplash, an injury that results in one’s head being snapped forward and then backwards quickly and forcefully. The best thing you can do in this situation is visit a spine clinic in Calgary for a proper assessment and treatment plan to prevent further strain and discomfort.
The following symptoms of whiplash may occur immediately or take several hours or days to surface following your car accident or injury:
- Chronic or intermittent neck pain and neck stiffness
- Shoulder pain and stiffness
- Back pain
- Arm pain and weakness
- Vision problems
What You Need to Know if You Have Sustained Whiplash in Calgary
Whiplash can result in strained and inflamed muscles and ligaments that can take up to
ten weeks to heal. However, if the pain lasts longer, it’s likely that you have injured your disc or facet joint, or perhaps both.
- Facet joint pain is typically located to the right or left of the center back of the neck. You may mistake it for muscle pain since it is very tender and stressed.
- Disc injury can also cause neck pain. The outer wall of the disc or annulus, can be torn by a whiplash injury and may or may not heal. The neck pain from a disc injury stems from the nerve endings in the annulus.
- Muscles in the neck and upper back can cause severe pain when they are worked too hard to protect injured discs, joints or the nerves of the neck.
- Spinal nerves and the spinal cord can be compressed by a herniated disc or bone spur. This can result in arm and neck pain.
Chiropractic care is a safe and effective form of treatment. It can provide lasting neck and upper back pain relief, as well as headache relief. Your practitioner may recommend a combination of treatments including physical therapy, spinal manipulation, acupuncture, massage therapy, and neck exercises. You may also be required to make temporary or permanent lifestyle changes or adjustments to your diet.
Consult an Established Spine Clinic in Calgary to See Fast Results
Alberta Back & Neck Rehab & Sports Injuries Clinic can provide treatment solutions to give you relief from neck and back pain caused by whiplash. Whether you need massage therapy or a customized treatment plan, our staff can create a program that is tailored to your injury, fitness level and health history. We offer personalized treatment and follow-up care to help you get back to your daily activities quickly and comfortably.
Contact Alberta Back & Neck Rehab & Sports Injuries Clinic today at 403-234-0040 or contact us online to schedule an appointment for an assessment of your whiplash injury in Calgary.